"Active speaker", called Active Speaker in English, is also called "active speaker". One of its major features is that it has a built-in electronic crossover system and comes with a power amplifier. "Active speakers" are usually marked with a built-in amplifier. The output power, input impedance and input signal level and other parameters, so all you have to do is to connect the power supply and audio cable to make the sound.
At present, studio monitor speakers, engineering speakers, or speakers for dance halls are basically "active speakers". Of course, they are now used in multimedia, such as desktop speakers, Bluetooth speakers, etc., all of which are "active Speaker".
1. It comes with a power amplifier, no need to connect to a post-amplifier, the whole system is simple and clear, easy to use. You only need to connect a computer, Blu-ray/audio player, DAP, etc. to play. You don't need to consider professional issues such as power size, impedance matching, etc., just plug and play.
2. In addition to the built-in amplifier, the "active speaker" also has an electronic crossover system and a decoding system, which can systematically restore the original appearance of the sound, with less distortion, and a stable sound bottom. It will not be affected by factors such as cables and power amplifiers. Affected and changed.
3. The space is more flexible. Because of the built-in amplification system and electronic crossover, you don't need to place power amplifiers and other equipment, making your own space more concise.
1. Since each speaker has an independent amplifier and electronic distributor, each speaker needs independent power supply. In other words, if you want to set up a 5.1.2 or 7.1.4 speaker system, you must have 8 or 12 independent power supplies make it work, which requires higher stability of the power supply. Of course, if it is only used on a computer desktop, the 2.0 system only needs 2 power supplies.
2. It is necessary to turn on the power of each speaker separately. Some "active speakers" even need to adjust the volume of each speaker. It is a little troublesome to adjust the volume of multiple speakers, but not all "active speakers" are This is needed, so be careful when choosing.
What is a "passive speaker"? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
"Passive speakers", called Passive Speakers in English, are also called "passive speakers". They don't have any amplifier circuits inside, but there are crossover networks and impedance compensation circuits.
It cannot be plug-and-play, and it needs a post-amplifier or a combined power amplifier to promote it. The whole system is relatively more complicated.
Compared with "active speakers", "passive speakers" not only have bookshelf speakers, but also floor-standing speakers, satellite speakers and other types.
1. No need to supply power, only need to connect the audio cable, but need to connect to the power amplifier.
2. Increased tuning flexibility. Due to the need to connect power amplifiers, it has a greater impact on power amplifiers, tube amplifiers, cables and other equipment, but this allows you to match equipment differently from person to person. Some people like this sound , Some people like that kind of tone, and decide the tuning effect according to the power amplifier and wire.
1. The system is relatively complicated, not plug-and-play like "active speakers". You need to have more professional knowledge to make a match that suits you.
2. It takes up more space, and the volume is relatively larger, which is not applicable in some scenarios, such as computer desktops.
"Passive speakers" burn more money?
"Passive speakers" need to be supported by a rear stage or a combined power amplifier. In addition, the influence of wires is also quite large, so everyone feels that the cost will be higher than that of "active speakers", but in fact, "There is The cost of “source speakers” is not low, and some monitor-level or professional-level “active speakers” also need better pre-amplifiers or better pre-decoding players to play its role. The cost is not low. Therefore, there is no question of who burns more money and who costs more. Of course, in contrast, the choice of rear-end speakers and cables due to different scenarios have a considerable impact on the "passive speakers". Constant toss and investment, the cost is indeed quite high.
In the beginning of "Infernal Affairs", Tony Leung and Andy Lau met. Andy Lau wanted to buy a Hi-Fi system. During the audition process, it changed a line to the entire system. Tsai Qin's voice had a completely different effect, and Tony Leung was stunned. Everyone must be very impressed with the scene. This is true, each wire has a completely different effect corresponding to different equipment, and the effect that can be exerted is different. The key depends on how you match it. At this time, what is needed is the knowledge of audio and video.
Does the speaker volume affect the sound quality?
Someone asked that desktop speakers or bookshelf speakers only have two frequency divisions: high frequency and low frequency. In other words, the low frequency is combined together. Sometimes, the low frequency effect is not enough and not ideal. The floor-to-ceiling box high school low frequency three-frequency position, the cavity is larger, the effect is more shocking.
This sentence is actually not entirely correct. Going back to the title, it is talking about sound quality. In fact, sound quality mainly depends on the adjustment of high, middle and low frequencies by the tuner during the design process, and the use of materials also has a key influence.
Although the sparrow is small and complete, wouldn't a small speaker have great power? In fact, you can look at the speakers of "Bose" and then the speakers of "GENELEC". They are also small speakers, which are as shocking as the effects of large speakers. This is why these two brands The reason why the speakers are more expensive, the materials, tuning, detailed design and other aspects affect the performance of the speakers. Some manufacturers use large-volume cabinets but cannot keep up with the tuning. In fact, the results are not satisfactory.
So, don't be fooled by the volume of the speakers, listen more and feel more.
How should I choose?
After understanding a lot of basic things, we finally returned to our original problem. How do I choose between "active speakers" and "passive speakers"?
1. Look at the application scenario, whether it is a computer desktop, a living room, or an independent audio-visual room.
If it’s a computer desktop, you can only choose "active speakers". Basically, no one chooses "passive speakers" on the desktop. Not to mention the size of the cabinet, you have to have a special power amplifier on the desktop. Desktop, this configuration not only makes your desktop not concise, but also takes up a lot of space, affecting office and entertainment effects.
If it is a living room and an independent audio-visual room, you can choose "active speakers" and "passive speakers" for both scenes. It depends on personal preference. If you don’t like tossing, you can choose "active speakers". In addition to laying out the audio cables, the "active speakers" also need to provide additional power positions for multiple speakers. The choice of power supply is also extra important, but it reduces It is the choice of post-amplifier, only the pre-amplifier is needed. Of course, it is no problem to directly connect the output of the player, but the effect is different. If you like tossing, "passive speakers" are for you. You can invert speakers, cables, even front and rear amplifiers or combine amplifiers to choose the combination that best suits your taste. Of course, this time cost or capital cost may need to be measured. However, it should be noted that "passive speakers" do not require wires like "active speakers". Once the wires are laid out, especially the wires of the center and rear speakers or even the sky speakers, they are deeply buried in the soil. If you consider changing the cable, it is unlikely, but the cable requirements of the center and rear speakers and sky speakers are not as high as the main speakers and center speakers. For most users, in the effect of 3D surround sound, the main speakers and the center speakers The speakers are replaced with more wires.
2. It depends on whether you like tossing or not. If you don't like tossing, then the one-step active box is definitely the best. If you like tossing and trying different styles of equipment, passive box is your first choice.
3. It depends on the money...
If you have more suggestions or ideas, you might as well leave a comment and discuss them together.